There have been a lot of changes from v1.5 to v1.6 with the biggest one being support for provisioners as well as upgrades to both the version of packer and govmomi to be able to take advantage of new features.
- Add support annotation: This allows text to be added to the notes section of the virtual machine.
- Add support for hardware version:
- Add support for provisioners: Add support for Packer provisioners.
- Add support for non-clustered vSphere environment: Add support for creating resources in a non-clustered vSphere environment.
- Upgrade supported packer version from v1.0.2 to v1.1.3
- Upgrade supported govmomi version from v0.15.0 to v0.16.0
Using the new release
Plugins can be installed in three ways but simply downloading the plugin to the current working directory and triggering a Packer build works well.
vSphere ISO plugin
Packer installing plugins
Additional information about the plugin can be found on the original plugin release post - https://www.greenreedtech.com/building-vsphere-templates-from-scratch-using-packer-and-the-vsphere-api/